Staying at Rest

You know, a body in motion will stay in motion.  It’s altogether way too easy to get wrapped up in insignificant agendas.

So, here I am, working less hours and actually able to enjoy my first entire day off in more than four weeks!

So how did I spend my day?  Well, I would love to tell you…

Last night one of my managers, Julie, hosted an incredible dinner at an Indian-Nepalese restaurant called Mt. Everest.  Earlier this week, instead of having a workshop or a meeting, she created a video that she sent all of the Report and Essay Writing instructors.  In the video, she outlined her future plans for the program AND extended a formal invitation to last night’s dinner.  The only way to know about it was to watch the video and R.S.V.P. by e-mail.  So lucky me!  I e-mailed and ended up being one of four people treated to a great feast.  It was disappointing to realize that more of my REW buddies didn’t get the memo, but the video was a test for our attention to detail and I do feel lucky to have been paying attention.  So after work last night, I met my friend Martha at Dongdaemun Station, near Dongdaemun Stadium.  There are all kinds of places to shop and browse and I ended up buying a gorgeous blue scarf for $5 – I’ve put down knitting for now, but I hope to resume the art of the Stitch ‘N Bitch soon.

It was pretty cool to kick back and chill with the ladies last night.  None of the REW males replied to the video, so it was just us girls.  With the Soju flowing and the curry spicy, we gnoshed and gossiped pretty late until the night.  Before the excursion ended at Seven Luck Casino, me and Martha bailed out around 2 A.M.  We had plans to wake up at 6:30 to meet some guy friends to drink.

I can already sense that my family is gasping at this thought: “Why on Earth would Meg be waking up so early…. to drink?!”  Well, last night, probably under the influence of free Soju, I believed that the Super Bowl was this past Sunday. So, me and Martha thought that if we made it to Itaewon to the Canadian pubs early enough Monday morning, we would be able to watch the game, even though it was so horribly early.  Yeah, we didn’t quite figure it out until much later, but when we realized that NO bars were open at that time, we grabbed some McDonalds breakfast and later, coffee at The Coffee Bean.  It was actually pretty cool to just hang out, though it was so early.  I probably would have slept in pretty late, since it was my day off, but we chatted about a lot of different things.

So yeah, I’ve been taking the time to let out some steam and catch up on sleep.  This week is CDI’s Achievement Test, which is their standardized testing for moving up in the program levels.  Though the students will be frazzled and stressed, I’m going to try my best to stay chill and reassuring, as the caring educator that I am.  I went out last Friday with Martha and Kendra and I had a lot of fun.  I know my last post was somewhat dismal, but this Winter season has really made me moody.  I guess that I’ve just been recently reminded of why I chose to come here in the first place.  I’ve talked to many people back at home and though I do miss being back in the States, I can’t imagine leaving South Korea, just yet.

I’m staying at rest for the moment, but I promise more exciting updates in the near future.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s